Masterclass: Portraits in Mosaics
Starting 19th Sept from 6.30pm to 8.30pm for 10 weeks.
Creating portraits in mosaic is a great way to pay homage to a person of historical importance, an important family member or to celebrate a person in our local community.
Portraiture is a repeating genre in Greek, Byzantine and Roman mosaic including portraits of Emperors, depictions of gods and goddesses, and later on Christian themes. The durability and strength of mosaic created a long-lasting art-form viable for the representation of power, belief and aesthetics.
Students will learn how to analytically construct a portrait with mosaic tiles. This will enhance their ability to make quick and refined artistic decisions with a sense of line, composition and texture. The course delivers technical, conceptual and analytical skills to enhance your visual decision making, and applying these in mosaic.
What students should be able to do at the end of the course:
- To understand the techniques and materials of traditional mosaic: andamento, indirect method, grout, glass and ceramic tiles,
- To select and observe the image source for the mosaic, analysing ways of perception and expression,
- To transfer an image onto another surface and develop a colour scheme,
- To understand the internal structure and composition of a portrait
Week by week outline
- Introduction to our studio, materials and the course structure
- Preparing your working surface: discussing how we can actualize your image in mosaic
- transfering your image to the A4 wooden working surface with overhead projector
- defining a colour scheme and select tiles accordingly
- Introduction to materials and method: Cutting tiles, abstraction, andamento, creating a border.
- Laying tiles starting with central features and lines, working from inside the face to outside areas
Weeks 3 – 9
- Laying tiles
- Grouting and cleaning. The work has to rest for a few days before the last cleaning can be done.
(This is a flexible schedule, acknowledging that all of us work at different pace. Don’t worry if the work isn’t coming along as quickly as in this outline. You can use our studio at your own time after the tutored teaching time).
Book and pay:
Price: £235.00 (this includes materials and tuition)
- Earn 5% Discount when booking 2 places or more!
Please send us up to 3 images of portraits you would like to use as template for your mosaic
Payment method: Payments are being made through Paypal - choose the number of places and click on Buy Now. If you don't have a Paypal account, then choose the Credit/Debit Card option. Alternatively you can send a cheque to London School of Mosaic, Ludham Basement, London NW5 4SF.
If you have any problems to make a payment, please call us on 020 7620 6070 (Mon-Fri) or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org