Byzantine Mosaic- Weekend Course
Date: Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd April
Time: from 10am till 4pm
For all levels.
This course is fully Booked. Please contact us to enquire about new dates.
This course welcomes people from all levels of skills to learn the techniques required to create a Bysantine Style Mosaic using the traditional tools for mosaic, the hammer and hardie. You will learn how to cut and shape the Italian 'smalti' type of glass, marble and natural stones to create a 20cm square mosaic to take home. This short course will allow you to recreate a small design or part of a design of an old Byzantine Mosaic to take home with you.
Mosaic art flourished in the Byzantine Empire from the 6th to the 15th centuries when Byzantine churches decorated their walls with golden mosaics. Lots of the great mosaics made during that period can be seen in Italy, especially in Ravenna, and the Middle East.
THIS COURSE COVERS
DAY 1 (Saturday):
- Defining the design
- Learning how to transfer image and transform a photograph or drawing into a mosaic
- Introduction on how to use the Hammer and Hardie to make mosaic
- Practice of cutting natural stones and smalti (a special type of glass for mosaic)
- The direct method of mosaic making onto wooden board
- How to use mosaic making tools
- How to apply basic techniques of andamento (mosaic flow) for Byzantine Mosaic
- How to create a stunning work using colour and movement
DAY 2 (Sunday):
- How to finish a mosaic.
- Completing mosaic to take home
The course includes all materials apart from Gold tiles, but these will be available to purchase at our school.
After completing your booking please send your design ideas for approval to firstname.lastname@example.org
BOOK AND PAY
Price: Was £175 - Now is £150! (this includes materials and tuition)
A 5% discount applies when booking 2 or more places.
Payment method: Secure payment is being made online through Paypal - choose the number of places and click on Buy Now. If you don't have a Paypal account, then choose the Credit/Debit Card option. Alternatively you can send a cheque to London School of Mosaic, Ludham Basement, London NW5 4SF.
If you have any problems to make a payment, please call us on 020 7620 6070 (Mon-Fri) or send an email to email@example.com