Byzantine Mosaic - Weekend Course
Friday to Sunday 21st-23rd September 2018
Hammer and Hardie technique using smalti glass.
Recommended for those with some craft and previous mosaic making experience. Also suitable for beginners wanting an introduction to the technique.
You will create a Byzantine Style Mosaic using the traditional tools for mosaic hammer and hardie. You will learn how to cut and shape the Italian 'smalti' type of glass, marble and natural stones to create a 20x20cm mosaic to take home. This short course will allow you to recreate a small design or part of a design of an old Byzantine Mosaic to take home with you.
Mosaic art flourished in the Byzantine Empire from the 6th to the 15th centuries when Byzantine churches decorated their walls with golden mosaics. Lots of the great mosaics made during that period can be seen in Italy, especially in Ravenna, and the Middle East.
DAY 1 (Friday 6.30-8.30pm):
- Defining the design
- Introduction on Byzantine Mosaics
- Learning how to transfer / draw an image in preparation for creating a mosaic
- How to use Hammer and Hardie to make mosaic
DAY 2 (Saturday 10.00-6.00pm):
- Practice of cutting natural stones and smalti (a special type of glass for mosaic)
- The direct method of mosaic making onto wooden board
- How to use mosaic making tools
- How to apply basic techniques of andamento (mosaic flow) for Byzantine Mosaic
- How to create a stunning work using colour and movement
DAY 3 (Sunday 10.00-4.00)
- Completing mosaic to take home
The course includes all materials apart from Gold tiles, but these will be available to purchase at our school. Images of Byzantine Mosaics will also be available on the day.
Tutor: Giulia Vogrig
Giulia have been working continuously as a professional mosaic maker since Ieaving the Mosaic School in Spilimbergo, Italy, in 2006. Working first in Italy before moving to London where I have worked for established mosaic artists and on personal projects like for the National Theatre, Merchant Taylors' Hall, the princess of Jordan.
Book and pay
Secure payment is being made online through Paypal - choose the number of places and click on Buy Now. If you don't have a Paypal account, then choose the Credit/Debit Card option. Alternatively you can send a cheque to London School of Mosaic, Ludham Basement, London NW5 4SF.
If you have any problems to make a payment, please call us on 020 7620 6070 (Mon-Fri) or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org