Roman Mosaic - Weekend
Direct Method (Wednesday Evenings)
For Beginners and improvers. Work with hammer and hardie using marble and natural stones.
Great opportunity to make a copy of an original Roman Mosaic size 20cm x 20cm learning about the most traditional method in mosaic.
The mosaic will be made through the direct technique so you will learn the original roman andamento and basic mosaic skills how to cut, shape lay and grout this material into your chosen design. The emphasis will be on making but there will also be an opportunity to gain some knowledge of the history of Roman mosaics.
All equipment and materials are supplied. You will need to choose a taken from an original Roman mosaic, which is available on the day: View Design Templates
Course content :
- Briefly explanation about what mosaic is and its history and development through the ages;
- Study of dividing the image into a roman mosaic layout (Andamenti) and prepare the working surface, to which tiles will be applied;
- How to use mosaic making tools, cutting and how to lay mosaic tiles using tweezers and adhesive cement on a wood support;
- Producing a mosaic piece from a sketch using a direct technique;
- Grouting , cleaning and finishing your mosaic.
Tutor: Catherine Parkinson
Catherine Parkinson is a freelance mosaic artist. She has been working in the mosaic medium for 22 years. Her original training was in textiles: she has a degree in hand embroidery, with secondary study in drawing and painting from Manchester Metropolitan University. She currently teaches mosaic part-time in adult education. She has worked with community groups, schools and in mental health facilitating the making and installation of publicly sited mosaics. She has undertaken private mosaic commissions for walls and floors.
Book and Pay
Payment method: Secure payment is being made online through Paypal - choose the number of places and click on Buy Now. If you don't have a Paypal account, then choose the Credit/Debit Card option. Alternatively you can send a cheque to London School of Mosaic, Ludham Basement, London NW5 4SF.
If you have any problems to make a payment, please call us on 020 7620 6070 (Mon-Fri) or send an email to email@example.com